1 1/2 hours total cooking time and 20 minutes prep work
4 1/2 lbs top round roast
1/2 cup pie crust mix
1/4 cup season salt
1/4 cup garlic powder
2 tbs ground mustard spice
2 tbs Italian herb blend
2 tbs rosemary herb
2 1/2 lbs carrots sliced in bite size pieces
1 1/2 lbs whole dried dated (remove pit)
5 beef (any)bouillon
6 cups water
1. Preheat oven to 475 degrees.
2. Mix pie crust mix, season salt, garlic powder, ground mustard and 2 tbs Ital. herb in a bowl.
3. Put aside 1/4 cup spice blend and press the rest evenly on roast to coat.
4. Place roast on rack fat side up over a cast iron frying pan.
5. Place in preheated oven and cook for about 18 minutes to form a crust on the outside of roast.
6. While roast is on high heat cut carrots and place them in a cast iron frying pan or oven safe dish along with dates, water and bouillon and place on lower rack of oven.
7. Reduce the heat of oven to 335 degrees and sprinke rosemary over roast continue to bake for one hour 15 minutes.
8. Stir veggies twice during cooking process.
9. Remove roast pan and carrot/date pan from oven turning it off.
10. Loosely tent roast with aluminum foil and allow to rest for 15 minutes before carving beef.
11. Mix 1/4 cup spice blend with vegetables then moving carrot mix immediately in serving dish to prevent metalic taste from cast iron frying pan.
11. Knock the loose romemary off the beef before you carve slicing beef at no more than a 1/2 inch thick . This is to chew meat more easily.
12. Place meat over vegtables and pour au jus over as to not loose any flavor.